Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Fall Pie Crust Cutouts

This week I am posting a family tradition that I have been enjoying since I was a kid...


Every Thanksgiving we would all travel to Minnesota to see family friends and enjoy the season together. Our friend Carla is a great pie baker, and I will never forget walking through her door, and the wonderful aromas that would welcome us as we stepped in. Roasting turkey, amazing sides, and 3 pie options to choose from every time. We have lots of funny memories from those years, like the time Carla's youngest son scorched his eyebrows from trying to light the fireplace. One thing I looked forward to, and something my Mom and I often made at home on our own, was pie crust pin wheels.


We would roll up the rest of the pie crust that wasn't used and sprinkle cinnamon and sugar all over them. Mmm...they are so yummy served fresh out of the oven. 

This year, I decided to make some using my favorite gluten free crust, as I have had to eat gluten free since those few ;-) years ago. Instead of rolling them out, I used fall themed cookie cutters. It sounds easy enough, but since I used a gluten free crust (which is harder to use) I decided to share how I did it...



Here is my FAVORITE gluten free prepard pie crust. I have not found it at many stores around here, so I am going to have to start ordering it online. It is the only prepared gf crust I have ever seen in the freezer section.


The crust gets sticky when it is room temp (like most gf crust), so I rolled it between two pieces of parchment paper, and then cut it out. I got these shapes at Hobby Lobby earlier this season.



                           
I then had to take the parchment full of cutouts, and flip it upside down on the cookie sheet, and gently peel the paper away. It was too sticky to do it any other way.


I sprinkled cinnamon, and sugar on top, and put them in a 350 degree oven for 10 mins.


And, here is the finished product. They make the whole house smell like fall, while they are baking, and they taste just like I remember when I was a kid. They are a fun, and easy way to celebrate the season! What are some of your favorite ways to celebrate the changing seasons?


This week I am linking up with Life of Faith #MommyMoments ,andHolley Gerth #CoffeeForYourHeart


No comments:

Post a Comment